My husband is somewhat of an anomaly and does not particularly like your regular old lunch lady sloppy joe sandwich. So I decided to switch it up a little and create this Chipotle Sloppy Joe with Simple Slaw from Cooking Light.
- Cooking spray
- 1 small presliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin
- 1 prechopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- Whole wheat hamburger buns
1. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; cover and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
2. Remove 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can; set aside. Remove 1 chipotle chile from can; chop and set aside. Reserve remaining chiles and adobo sauce for another use.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain excess fat if necessary. Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in chopped chipotle chile, adobo sauce, tomato paste, and next 3 ingredients (through tomato sauce); cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon 1/2 cup beef mixture over bottom half of each bun, and top evenly with onions and top half of bun.
This meal tastes great with pickles and a simple slaw. To make the slaw, combine 1/3 cup light or olive-oil mayonnaise, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or the Splenda equivalent, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add 3 cups packaged cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw, tossing well to combine.
This dish received two thumbs up and the leftovers were even taken to work the next day for lunch!
***TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO VOTE FOR THE NOVEMBER 3-WAY INGREDIENT! (10/30) Vote Today!!!***