Inspiration can come from so many places. There are very few people I’ve met in life that can turn those inspirations into visual masterpieces, but James Scherbarth is one of them. I’m so happy to introduce everyone to his art and designs. James’ work provides just the touch you might need to tie a room together or an outfit! He has been generous enough to provide us with a giveaway this week. So don’t miss out and enter today! (Details below)
1. Give us a quick bio: Born & raised in Minneapolis,MN; Downers Grove, IL; Atlanta, GA and St Clair, MI. All that travel gave me the bug so today traveling is one of my favorite pastimes. It exposed me to so much and introduced me to people from all walks of life and cultures. I’m also a Vietnam veteran. That experience derailed my intentions to go to art school and to teach, so I wound up “making a living” in telecommunications – traveling and teaching. After a number of years in the corporate world it was time to do something new, so I came back to the arts. When not busy making art I serve on two Boards of Directors – one for the Burnsville Visual Arts Society and one for Veterans in the Arts. I am extremely proud of and gratified by my work in both organizations but particularly with the Veterans group. I have a large wonderful family (I’m the oldest of seven) spread across the continental US – more travel opportunities.
2. Have you always been interested in the arts?: Always – since I was a young child. I like making things with my hands, creating something from nothing. I always had tremendous encouragement from my parents and from a wonderful art teacher early on.
3. Where does your inspiration come from?: Nature – textures, patterns, colors. Language, words, quotes and stories. I derive inspiration from many sources. I am particularly drawn to patinas; the marks and layers wrought by time and natural forces. Think: lichens and moss on rocks, weathered copper, rust, peeling paint, old wood…etc. Fellow artists that I am meeting and working with also are an important influence on my development and perception of my work.
4. You dabble in lots of different art, what is your favorite?: I currently work in oil+wax painting (also acrylics and mixed media), digital montages and art jewelry. I am constantly photographing images for use in the digital montages or just as a reference for my other work. I have self-published two books Echoes Off The Wall (Oaxacan Photos) and Digital Daydreams 1.0 (digital montages). As far as a favorite art form – it would the one that I am working in at any given moment. Today it has been oil+wax; tomorrow it will be art jewelry as I have a deadline to meet. Don’t ask me to choose ‘cuz I love‘m all!
5. Any words of wisdom for our readers? I will share with you a mantra and a signature that I am fond of and use constantly myself. The mantra is: Now, Today, Don’t Wait Anymore. And the signature is: Be Well, Be Creative.
6. How can we obtain your work? Currently inquiries regarding availability, pricing & shipping for art or jewelry found on my website www.jamesedwardscherbarth.com should be emailed to me at email@example.com. I should soon be announcing a partnership with an online art platform to present my 2D artworks and my art jewelry. Once established that will provide a quick and easy eCommerce option.
James is giving away one of two options for us this week: Either an autographed copy of his “little red book” entitled Just Three Words OR a signed print of his oil + wax abstract landscape Sedona (print size approx. 6.5×6.5 on 8.5×11 archival paper). Simply visit www.jamesedwardscherbarth.com and view his work. Leave us a comment telling us your favorite piece. The winner will be chosen at random. The winner will be announced Friday, July 29th. For an extra vote, Like Us on Facebook! Good luck!
If you live in the Minneapolis area and would like to see James’ work, visit The Great Frame-Up in Burnsville, MN. Selected items from his Timeless Layers collection will be on display through August 11.